- 1 pound can of beans, drained and rinsed, or 1.5 cups cooked beans (suggestions: your favorite bean!) black beans
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups diced veggies (suggestions: carrots, celery, mushrooms, chopped spinach, chopped kale, corn, chopped artichokes, zucchini, squash, sweet potato)
- 2 teaspoons + 2 tablespoons oil for frying (suggestions: olive, coconut, grapeseed) no oil, will use spray instead
- 3 tablespoons liquid flavor (mix and match suggestions: mustard, ketchup, soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, vegan worcestershire, buffalo sauce, balsamic vinegar, salsa, pasta sauce, marsala, water) liquid smoke
- 4 teaspoons spice (we recommend combining at least two: smoked paprika, cumin, chili powder, italian seasoning, poultry seasoning, montreal steak seasoning, black pepper, cayenne pepper, fennel, oregano, curry powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (omit or reduce if your liquid or spices contain salt)
- 1 cup dry base ingredient (suggestions: buckwheat, unsweetened protein, bread crumbs, cornmeal, oatmeal)
- 1/2 cup texture ingredient (suggestions: chopped walnuts, olives, avocado, sundried tomatoes, leftover cooked rice/quinoa/bulgur, parsley, cilantro, basil)
Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a pan over medium heat. Fry the onion, veggies, and garlic until softened, about 5 minutes.
Transfer to a food processor and with beans, liquid flavor, spice, salt until combined but still chunky. Pulse in the dry base and texture ingredient.
Form into golf ball size balls and flatten into patties.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Fry patties 2-3 minutes per side until browned and heated through.
Makes about 18 small patties.