Wednesday, January 16, 2013

New Recipe and another Progressive Run

Happy Hump Day :)

At the grocery store last night I saw a package of Mexican-style Smart Ground (fake ground beef), and since I love anything Mexican-style I of course bought it. After work tonight I was looking through the cabinets trying to decide whether to just make tacos with it or try to create something new. Here's what I came up with and it's wonderful!

- 1 package Mexican-style Smart Ground
- 1 cup dry corn grits (Polenta), prepared (see below)
- 1 can organic black beans (drained, rinsed, then mashed)
- 1 (3.8 oz) can sliced black olives
- 1 (4 oz) can diced jalapenos
- 1 package taco seasoning (I use Old El Paso Hot and Spicy)
- 1 cup vegetable broth

Preheat oven to 350.

Spray a pan with PAM and heat the ground "beef" on medium heat for a few minutes and then throw in the beans, olives, jalapenos, broth and taco seasoning.

Meanwhile, bring 3 cups of water (with a pinch of salt) to a boil. Then add in the cup of dry polenta, stir, cover, and reduce heat for about 5 minutes.

Add the polenta to the "beef" mixture and stir it all together.

Pour into PAM-sprayed 9x13 casserole dish and bake for about 20 minutes.

I made it into 6 servings so they came out at 258 calories each. Fat = 1.6 grams, Carbs = 42 grams (Fiber 9, Sugar 1), Protein = 17 grams.

Delicious, with just the right amount of spicy :)

-----------------------

For my run today I did the 5,4,3,2,1 speed progression workout (from 5mph to 7mph). Then walked for 1 minute and reversed it- 1,2,3,4,5 (from 7mph to 5mph). Total 3.5 miles in 31 minutes. Tomorrow and Friday I'll do 2:30/:30 intervals and then rest on Saturday. Not sure about Sunday yet since my "real" training starts on Monday.

Enjoy the rest of your week!



No comments: