Sunday, August 19, 2012

A Great Run and an even GREATER Veggie Burger!

Even though I had to run inside on the treadmill today, I had a great run! I started slow, but kept increasing the speed until I found a comfortable pace. I was a little shocked that it was under a 10-minute mile pace!

But now onto my veggie burger experiment!

It was a little messy in the making, but the results were definitely worth it! I will NEVER buy another Boca burger again! Seriously, they came out THAT good!

Here's what I ended up using:

  • 1/2 cup chopped green onions
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 cup baby bella mushrooms, chopped
  • 1 cup artichoke hearts, chopped (from canned, in water)
  • 1 (15-oz) can organic black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 Tbsp Bragg Liquid Aminos
  • 1 Tbsp Liquid Smoke (hickory)
  • 1 Tbsp Grey Poupon Dijon Mustard
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp (hot mexican) chili powder
  • 1 tsp chipotle chili pepper
  • 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
  • 1/2 cup chopped black olives
I followed the instructions from the recipe exactly, but I used PAM spray instead of any oil. Instead of making "sliders" like the recipe called for, I ended up with 7 good-sized burgers. When I entered all the nutritional information at SparkPeople.com, they came out to 120 calories per burger. Not bad! 


This is hubby's plate. I had mine without any bread, topped with 1/2 of a Roma tomato and some sauteed mushrooms. I didn't have any salad (yet),  but I did have the other half of the (also homemade) sweet potato fries! Yummy! 

And hubby is still raving about how good it all is!  Success!

No comments: