Monday, December 17, 2012

Marathon Training

So, although I haven't really been running regularly (my ankle still isn't quite right) I've decided to start marathon training. I found a plan at coachjenny.com that really makes me believe I can do this! It's a 20-week program with 4 runs per week and 2 days of cross-training and strength training. The running is intervals (think Jeff Galloway) which I think my ankle will thank me for ;)  And with starting it today, the upcoming half-marathon I want to do will fall in nicely.  I'm not ready to sign up for a full marathon yet, but I want to know that I CAN do it. Once I get through the training I'll decide whether or not to sign up for one.

I think if you click on this you can see it at full size.
Today I ran 40 minutes doing 4:1 intervals. I played around with the speeds until I settled on 6mph/4mph. It went really well! I'm hoping that after a few weeks I'll be able to start working on speed again. I'd like to make my intervals more like 7mph/5mph. Anyways, I'll try to post progress reports at least once a week.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Laura, All I was thinking is take care of your ankle and pay heed to any messages it tells you--but you know that. It's really more important to heal than to be athletic.

I sat out of gym a few months with a broken thumb, but it was better than to hurt it worse by exercising with it. I felt impatient and I went backwards, and I was very frustrated when I got back to the gym, but I made the right choice for me.

So take care of yourself and don't rush yourself! Okay? I want the best for you.

:-) Marion