Saturday, October 1, 2011

September Wrap-Up and a Yummy (no-bake) Vegan Cookie Recipe!

First off, I'm not sure about the new blog design and will probably change it again soon. Like today. What sucks is that I used to (like 15 years ago) do web design and coding, and I could throw together a pretty cool site in no time flat. Not anymore. Now I can't even edit the code without all kinds of screw ups :(


So for September, I ran 74 miles which, while not anywhere near the 101 miles I ran in August, included TWO 13.1 mile runs! Once in a training run and then again at the Philadelphia Rock-n-Roll Half-Marathon! While I'm not ecstatic about my finish time, I am super excited to be a half-marathoner! And I can't wait to start training for a full 26.2 miles!  Since I'm not as focused on time as endurance, I'm leaning towards using a Galloway training program which is comprised of run/walk intervals. I'm hoping to get that all sorted out today too.


As for my weight, it fluctuated between 114 - 110 for the month of September. I consider that a huge win since I was really bad about tracking for most of the month. I also ate way too many cookies. Both of the cookie recipes I've been making are ridiculously simple and no-bake! One I followed exactly from the Forks over Knives book, and the other I don't remember where the original recipe came from but I changed it so much that it really became my own ;)

Nutty no-bake Cookies (my recipe):

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup Emerald Cocoa Roast Almonds, ground
  • 1/4 cup shelled Pistachios, ground
  • 1/3 cup Oatmeal Flour (or just grind up 1/3 cup old-fashioned oats)
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1 Tbsp Agave Nectar
  • 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
  • 1-2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract          
Directions:
  1. Combine almonds, pistachios, oatmeal (and salt if using) in a medium mixing bowl. Note: You can either measure/grind the nuts/oats separately, or measure/dump all of it together into grinder.
  2. In a smaller bowl, combine agave, coconut oil, and vanilla.
  3. Add wet to dry. Mix until dough forms. You might want to use your hands :) *My dough was pretty dry so I added the 2nd tsp of vanilla extract here* Tip: Make a circle with your thumb and forefinger. This is about the size you want to make your cookie balls. Unless you have really big hands or long fingers. Then make them a little smaller ;) My dough made 8 cookies. 
  4. Roll into balls then shape balls into cookies (or just leave them as balls ;)) 
  5.  Put the cookies on parchment paper and put in a gallon-sized freezer bag. 
  6. Put in freezer until firm (about an hour).
  7. Try not to eat them all in one sitting ;)
Nutrition info: 
(Per cookie based on 8 cookies total)
  • Fat 8.6
  • Carbs 7.3
  • Calories 110.2
  • Protein 2.7
WW PointsPlus: 3