Monday, July 25, 2011

FMM: Defining Moments


If you’ve taken part in FMM then you know the rules. If you’re new, please take a moment to answer this week’s question on your own blog then add your link in the comments section at: www.alltheweigh.com so we can all see your FMM questions and answers. Please invite your blog readers to add their links here too so everyone has to opportunity to be seen. The idea is to connect with other awesome bloggers so take a moment to post your own FMM post and comment on a couple of other posts. Now it’s time for this week’s topic!

FMM: Defining Moments
Was there a defining moment in which you realized that you needed to lose weight?  If so, will you elaborate? (If you experienced this moment in some other area of your life, please feel free to share that too!) 

What's really strange to me is that, even when I saw the scale read 240 pounds, I did NOT have one of those 'Aha!' moments.  Sure, I knew I was fat, but I must have been in denial because of the other stuff that was going on in my life at the time - I was in a really stressful relationship with an alcoholic, but that's a whole other story that I really don't wanna go into. 

240 :(   

Anyways, after I got out of the relationship, I dropped 100 pounds in about 3 months. Definitely not in any kind of healthy way and I don't recommend losing that much weight that fast. I have stretch marks and loose skin that I don't think will ever go back to "normal."

I did manage to keep the weight off for about 7 years (thanks to Richard Simmons- LOVE Sweatin' to the Oldies 2!) before it started creeping back up again. By this time I had moved from Missouri back East (NJ) and had (among other things) met my (now) husband. When we first started dating I'm not sure how much I weighed but I was wearing a size 9 in juniors. I'm guessing I was around 140ish?  

   This was July 2005.  

When DH and I got engaged December of 2007, that was when I noticed the pounds packing on. My clothes didn't fit and I had to revamp my wardrobe. It didn't really dawn on me just how much weight I had gained until I started trying on wedding gowns.... UGH!
Somewhere around 190
And just like before, I still didn't have an 'Aha!' moment. Yes, I was fat again but I didn't do anything about it...  yet!  About 6 months after this pic was taken, I was sitting at work and some of the girls were talking about joining Weight Watchers.  They asked if I wanted to go. When I said yes, I didn't realize my life was about to completely change :)

I have information about Weight Watchers and SparkPeople.com (2/3 of what I contribute to my success, the other 1/3 is definitely Richard Simmons) in my Q&A section so feel free to read more there :)

Anyways, after 8 months with WW and SP, I reached my goal weight. It was May of 2009 and I've been maintaining ever since.  My biggest defining moments have actually come between then and now.  

First, I got married - Halloween 2009, in costume, at a drive-through wedding chapel in Las Vegas  ;)

114 pounds :)

 Second, I became a runner.  I started with the Couch to 5k running program at CoolRunning.com.  While I prefer running by myself (I am introverted and socially awkward), I have ran an official 5k, 10k, 10-miler, and am currently training for a Half-Marathon in September.  However, I run not to race, but because of how it makes me feel - like a winner :)

Halloween 2010 - got more use out of my bride costume :)
 Third (and most defining), happened only a couple months ago. In May of this year, after watching Food Inc., I immediately quit eating meat and began researching more about farm animal treatment.  Since then, I've also given up dairy and eggs.  I joined the PeTA Pack for my upcoming half-marathon training (though I wish I would have done a little more research into PeTA first - I'm not quite on board with some of their philosophies).  

So there you have it.  I am an introverted yet spontaneous, socially awkward yet competitive, formerly fat fiance who transformed herself into WonderWife and now thrives on plants and dark chocolate peanut butter  :)

If I could only eat one food for the rest of my life, this would be it! 

Now it's your turn :)



 

7 comments:

Caron said...

Loved this post and the pictures. Isn't Richard Simmons the best!

Michele said...

What a wonderful post! I'm so glad you followed my blog so that I could "find" you and follow yours! What an inspiration you are, thank you!

Amber Michelle said...

I like your post. You look like you're about to cry in the first picture of you in a wedding dress, even though you looked great.

SkinnyKittyCat said...

Hi Laura,

Just wanted to thank you for your lovely comment on my blog. I loved reading your post and you've done fantastic to get where you are now! I've always wanted to complete a triathlon and a marathon, but I kept telling myself that it would never happen. Now, I'm thinking about making a mini goal of entering a 5k in around 4-5 months and then working from there to a 10k and so on. x

nina@themissadventuresofnina said...

You have no idea how many times I have printed the schedule on coolrunnings. My dream is to become a runner (not to compete but for myself). I seriously love these types of post because they help me so much to understand that I can do this.

Kris said...

What a great success story! Weight Watchers is the best - for me, also being somewhat of an introvert, I used their online tools, but it sure kept me on track and accountable!

And running is for me, the greatest gift - it is now my preferred form of stress relief - as opposed to ice cream by the pint!!

Laura Runs a Latte said...

Thank you all for the comments. I promise I will get back to each of you individually - it just takes me some time because of my hectic work schedule! Hugs!